Are the Fleas real...
The Flea Circus originates from as far back as the Egyptian times but was most successful during the 1600s onwards, when these were exhibited or shown from small boxes in pubs and taverns and at fairs.
Today there are very few "real" Flea Circses left. Sven Svenson still "trains" fleas when he can find them. Today the few that are around tend to be what are called "Humbug" circuses; these contain NO REAL FLEAS and are secretly controlled by the showman.
They are used by entertainers for parties, private functions and events etc.
Humbug Flea Circuses are our speciality!
After many years' absence the Flea Circus is rising in popularity once again
Svensons are the worlds only full-time Flea Circus makers and have quickly risen to become the Worlds No1
In the real Flea Circuses harnessed fleas manipulate the props and carry out the acts within the circus. Fleas are harnessed using very fine wire, which is tied around the flea's neck; this is usually made from jewellers 'gold wire' of a very thin gauge. Sometimes jeweller's are set the task of creating miniature chariots and carts!
The acts have generally been the same over the decades...These include:
- Chariots and 'horse drawn' style vehicles are pulled by a flea.
- High dive - the flea dives from a diving board into a pool of water below.
- High wire - the flea crawls across the wire to the other side with a prop.
- Seesaw - the fleas ride the seesaw.
- Trapeze - the fleas jump from swing to swing.
- Flea cannon - a flea is shot from the cannon